Our 2022 Tax Receipt is out, just in time for Tax Day, which is April 18, 2023.
Here are some quick tax facts. Are we getting our nation's priorities right?
- The average taxpayer paid $1,087 just for Pentagon contractors in 2022. That’s nearly half the total contribution for the military, and it’s 4 times the amount the same taxpayer contributed to K-12 education, $270.
- The average taxpayer paid $74 for nuclear weapons, and just $43 for the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC).
- The average taxpayer paid $70 for deportations and border control, versus just $19 for refugee assistance.
- The average taxpayer paid $20 for federal prisons, and just $11 for anti-homelessness programs.
- The average taxpayer paid $298 to the top 5 military contractors, and just $19 for mental health & substance abuse.
- The average taxpayer paid $106 to the top military contractor Lockheed Martin, and only $6 for renewable energy.