Have 3 Minutes? End the Shutdown!
Oct. 10, 2013
3 Easy Steps to End the Shutdown & Raise the Debt Ceiling
You have the power to get our government back on track and prevent default on our existing debt.
- Type your zip code below to find out who your Congressperson is in the House of Representatives:
- Call your Congressperson’s number or call the White House switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be transferred to your Congressperson’s office.
- Let the staff person who answers the phone know that you’re a constituent who wants to end the current showdown. Then, be very specific about what action you want your representative to take. For example, if you live in Walla Walla Washington, you would call Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers:
My name is Jonas, and I'm a constituent calling from Walla Walla. I'm calling because I want Representative Rodgers to:
- Ask Speaker Boehner to bring a spending bill to a vote on the House floor and pass a "clean CR"
- Raise the debt ceiling at once so our nation can pay its bills on time
If your Congressperson is already taking these steps, be sure to express your appreciation.
Your Voice Matters
Representatives take constituent requests seriously, so no matter what terrible things you hear about Congress, know that getting in touch can make a difference.
If you want to do more, check out our What You Can Do resources.