Activity Type: Group
Objective: Students will examine the multi-faceted issues facing campaign finance and what impact it has on our government.
- In groups students will create a policy that would eliminate the need for politicians to raise their own funds.
- Students should make certain to address the following questions when researching this:
- How would one qualify for this money?
- Where does this money come from?
- How do you decide how much everyone gets?
- Would candidates only be allowed to spend from this pool? Would candidates be allowed to opt out and spend out-of-pocket?
- Who selects the candidates that are eligible for funds?
- How are the people who make this decision appointed?
- Would private citizens be allowed to pay for advertisements for candidates?
- Would groups of citizens (unions, corporations, non-profit organizations) have this same right?
- How important is transparency in this process?
- Is this Constitutional under the First Amendment?
Download as PDF