Federal Spending Trade-Offs
Activity Type: Individual
Objective: Students will be able to determine the estimated amount of federal income taxes from their state (and possibly their county, city or town) that went to fund specific federal programs/initiatives. Students will then be able to examine what else those tax dollars could have funded.
- Have students visit Trade-Offs on NPP’s website
- Ask students to click on their state (and/or nearest county, city or town).
- Ask students to choose a program.
- Ask students to choose one or all of the trade-offs.
- After using the trade-off tool, students will write a reflection on what they learned using the following questions:
- What were you most surprised by when exploring the trade-offs for your state or community?
- In what ways are your priorities different than the federal government’s priorities?
- In what ways are they similar?
- What did this make you think about?
- What would you change?
Download as PDF